Friday, June 27, 2008

Striving to Focus on Sketching

I'm involved in so many things that I find it hard to sit down and sketch. Once I get into sketching it's peaceful and wonderful but there are just so many other things on my plate!
Since I'm a great distance away from my tools I try to substitute sketching as an alternative to making jewelry.
I've been reading and doing the exercises in 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain'. It's a great book that guides your through the process of drawing with many different exercises that you would never think to do. I highly recommend this book!
I also bought the book 'Techniques of Jewelry Illustration & Color Rendering' and am saving that for after I've completed all the exercises in 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.' Techniques of Jewelry Illustration & Color Rendering have beautifully drawn images with great coloring and shading. The pictures are so beautiful I almost can't imagine being able to draw that well.
I've always struggled with drawing but lately have found that sketching out my ideas before making the piece of jewelry is really helpful to the integrity of the design. So my goal is to always sketch before making the piece. Lets see if I can keep that promise!

No comments: