Friday, December 5, 2008

Origin of the word jewelry...


I just learned that the word jewellery is derived from the word jewel, which was anglicised from the Old French "jouel" circa the 13th century. Further tracing leads back to the Latin word "jocale", meaning plaything. (Wikipedia) The word is ultimately from a Latin root that means game or joke, and that also gives us such words as jocular and juggle.
I can't believe two of my favorite things jewelry making and juggling come from the same route word! I love it! I'll remember to not take the jewelry making so seriously, make it fun and playful!
That's me on the left pass juggling clubs with my friend Nick who I taught to juggle!

1 comment:

Kelly Heck said...

HAHA, Jesus.
I wish 'photography' came from the word 'phood/food'... that would be the best.