Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Glass Blowing at the Glass Bubble


I wanted to share with you some great images from my glass blowing class. That's me above reheating the glass in the glory hole.


Here I am using the Marvering Table to push the molten glass to the end of the punty and keep it symmetrical. I picked up that glass from the furnace of molten glass that was at about 2,000 degrees. I was wearing a leather glove on my hand closest to the kiln and it smoked several times. It was hot!


In this image I'm using a file on the bottom of a drinking glass to groove where I want to break it off of the punty (rod the glass is on). After you are finished forming your piece you break it off the punty into the annealer kiln where it will sit normally over night as the temperature slowly drops. The temperature has to be slowly dropped or the glass will crack due to thermal stress.


This is my final piece I made which is a bowl, in this picture I'm spinning it out to flare it. There was a very high risk of this piece collapsing but I wanted to go for it!


Here are a few of the items I made a drinking glass above and below. The blue in the glass below is actually just a little bit of blue frit I rolled clear glass in. It only takes a little bit of colored glass to really make a piece pop.


My favorite piece is the one below. It is the bowl I was talking about that I had to spin out.


I had a great time glass blowing at the Glass Bubble with my boss. Thank you!
Historically glass blowing dates back to 50 BC, I'm always amazed at how many of the trades use many of the same tools since they began. It makes me feel connected to the past. I love making things!

2 comments:

Sandy Eaton said...

Valerie, I love the pictures of the process of the glass making.
It looks like you had a great time. You did really well by having 3 pieces that you could bring home. I know how hard that is as it happens in my pottery all the time.

Valerie A. Heck said...

I had a lot of fun glass blowing, I think Joe and I are going to do a class together too!