Friday, March 25, 2011

M.C. Escher


Last weekend we attended the M.C. Escher exhibit at the Akron Art Museum. Akron, OH is one of two cities in the United States that get to show this exhibition and then the art goes back to Europe. What an honor! Joe and I loved it. Joe bought the image, Drawing Hands, above.

I really liked the slow metamorphosis of birds into fish. I could see this as a really wicked tattoo, the white areas being the white of my skin. There was another version of this piece in the museum that gave the fish more character, reminded me of the fish on my studio floor.


Joe also bought an M.C. Escher tie so he would wear some artwork! I really wanted to buy a deck of M.C. Escher playing cards, I collect playing cards but sadly they didn't have any.

The exhibit ends May 29th, don't miss this exhibit, it's extraordinary!

4 comments:

Sandy and Bill Eaton said...

Valerie, I bet that was a great
show, I love the birds to fish or fish to birds. However the thought of a tatoo on you gives me chills. As you know we all say
no tatoo's ever. Talk to you soon.

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

don't worry!

Kelly Heck said...

So cool! I would love to see that too... I wonder if they were already in Bmore?

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

the exhibit is only going to two galleries in the U.S. and one was here. Then it goes back to Europe.