Thursday, July 14, 2011

Kitchen Remodeling: Before & After


For a while Joe and I have discussed wanting a more open kitchen. As you can tell there are cabinets on the left that divide the room.


A view from the other side, you can see Cinnamon's tail on the left. The offending cabinets on the right this time.


So I came home from work one day and took down those cabinets that were dividing the kitchen in half. Joe helped in the end to hold it as I sawed part of it down. Otherwise I might have been squashed by a cabinet!


Look at the open counter space! I managed to cut into the nice wood that was left behind so I needed to do something to cover it up and make it look like I did it on purpose.


So I came up with the idea for a magnetic spice rack. I got a sheet of metal that I tested with a magnet, to make sure it was magnetic. And then cut it to the right size, drilled holes and screwed it into the cabinet, covering my saw mistakes. I also reattached all the moulding.


Then we added the magnetic spice containers!


It's really beautiful in person, looks like some type of art piece!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Wow, Valerie, you just never cease to amaze me. How cool is the magnetic spice rack!!

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thanks Katie, when I get an idea in my head there is no stopping me! I just love how big our kitchen feels and how pretty the spices look!

Bonnie Blandford said...

Love this!

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thanks Bonnie!

Sandy Eaton said...

Valerie, Your Kitchen looks so much bigger and I love the spice rack. It is a big job to take down kitchen cabinets and repair the edges. Good Job.

Kelly Heck said...

This is awesome Valerie! I love the magnetic spice containers. My neighbor Liz has 5 or 6 on her fridge. I like your idea though to make the edge work, otherwise it would be awkward!

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thanks Kelly!