Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kim Webster - The Glass Gardener


Kim Webster was originally from Ontario Canada and then moved to Oakland California where she found a whole new world of Plants. She studied horticulture and glass blowing. Kim says, "There are many similarities between the process of gardening and glassmaking. Pruning shrubs and trees gives me a chance to discover the architecture of the plant and to make decisions about how to work with it; what to expose, what to eliminate, and how the resulting form and proportions will fit within the context of the whole garden. The process of sculpting hot glass is much the same.  When inspired by something in the landscape, I first sketch to experiment with ideas. I imagine how to achieve the colour and form, look for something I want to exaggerate, plan how I can manipulate traditional glassblowing tools and techniques to achieve my vision, and envision a cold-working process that might enhance what I’ve made in the hot-shop.  Then of course, there are the mechanics of assembly to consider … "


This piece is title 'Teal Agave' and lights up at night with the use of LEDs (shown above).


The 'Floral Fancies' are assembled using jewelry making techniques and her newer Fancies have LEDs as well.

No comments: