Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Optical Illusion Pendant


I was so excited to make another piece of jewelry from sketches in my sketchbook. Here you can see I laid out different inspiration and sketches.


This necklace I made is movable and instead of accurately drawing the two pieces I dissected a Dr. Seuss book and scanned what I needed and shrunk the image down to a smaller size for a pendant.


You can see the Dr. Seuss wheel in the upper right hand corner, my copper and my silver with the pattern rubber cemented. The patterns are going the opposite way on the pieces of metal.


Close up of the rubber cemented patterns and on the right hand corner a convex mirror from home depot to go behind the pierced patterns.


Getting ready to mark the drill holes, aka all the white spaces need to be pierced.


Ready to pierce!


The copper and silver are pierced and the glass mirror is drilled.


You can start to see my plan of layering/overlapping.


I lined up the metal and drilled holes, then soldered the tubing to the copper piece (in middle of sandwich) since I only wanted the top piece (silver) to move. I made the tube rivet to hold them together. The sandwich is silver on top, then copper in middle and mirror in back.



A shot to show you the size of the pendant on a regular sized bench pin.


The chain made of large jump rings that are then twisted, I also liver of sulfured the chain so it was darkened in the cracks and went with the piece well.


Finished piece! I love the final product, because it spins and makes you very very dizzy! I finished it the day before the 4th of July and wore it to a 4th of July party. The copper also was given a heat patina when I soldered the tubing to it. I liked the reddish color a lot and decided to keep it.

5 comments:

Sandy Eaton said...

Valerie, This is beautiful, I love the different color of the silver and copper. Hard for me to tell how big it is but very nice and a lot of work. Got your sketch of the grinder and printed it out for Grand-dad. I know you like to do your own jewelry so keep up the good work.

Doug Land. said...

Goooogeous! Now where can I buy it?

Also is it spinnable?

and does it come with matching eye glasses?

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thanks Sandy! And thank you Doug, yes it does spin, and eye glasses are a great idea!

Studio Sylvia said...

Fabulous work. Inspiring!

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thank you Sylvia!