Monday, January 30, 2012

Working on my photography...


I'm practicing my photography so that I can post better pictures here on the blog. When I submit photos of my jewelry to shows, magazines and competitions they will be professionally photographed. But for the blog I wanted to work on improving my photography for your enjoyment.
Above is a piece I made this past year out of copper, silver and a mirror, with a handmade chain.
Here are my camera settings:
1/320


F 5

ISO 1600


I used the macro setting on my camera and didn't notice much of a difference in ability to take a closer shot. Also my color balance is off, not sure what I did wrong but the background should be pure white.
I'm using a Cannon PowerShot SX230 HS Digital Camera. I know I should get a better camera, it's on the list of things I need.

If you have any comments or suggestions please post a comment. I always welcome feedback.

2 comments:

Kelly Heck said...

Hey Valerie, This is a very nice, clear shot, and well composed. Nice work!

I do have some pointers for you that may help you with some experiments on your next photo adventure...

You should try to avoid very high ISO settings because the higher the number, the more grainy your photo will be... now for the blog, it's not as big of a deal because you are uploading a low res image, but if you wanted to print this photo it would be better to shoot at maybe 200/400 ISO.

To get a lower ISO, you could have bumped down your shutter speed several 'stops'. 1/160 or 1/200... maybe even lower, would avoid camera shake (blur) but give your camera more time to let light in.

Your color balance is off probably because you shot the image with Tungsten Light or Fluorescent Light. Your camera should have a setting you can change it to. Often cameras are set to AWB (Automatic White Balance) and it gets the image close, but not perfect. If you shoot your images on a pure gray backdrop, you could easily correct for the color in an image editing program. We can talk about it! kelly@kellyheckphotography.com

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thanks for the advice! Turns out I did a custom white balance but I had some things that were not white in the show. So now I know to make sure it's all white.
I will use your advice and work on it!