Sunday, April 22, 2012

Photography Improvements!


Back in February when I was at the Buyer Market of American Craft Show I purchased these sterling silver origami and moonstone earrings from 314 Studio. I've purchased a few pieces of jewelry from this artist and I find her jewelry fascinating. The silver origami is complex and beautiful. 

I took this photo in my new light box! I still want to improve on the quality of the photograph and make it a little sharper and the background white white. It'll take some practice to get my camera setting just right.


Here is my new jewelry photography set up, I love it!


Here is another view of my photography area. My journal is on the floor to the left. I take notes on what settings I used on which piece of jewelry. That way I don't have to start from scratch each time I take a new photo. It's always wise to take notes!

Do you have a photography set up for your artwork? Any tips and tricks you want to share?

5 comments:

Kelly Heck said...

Hey Valerie! If you want your background pure white, it has to have more light on it than the subject... you may have to resort to back lighting, however, since you are using a tent (which will just diffuse light all over no matter what section you point the light towards).

You should play with a black and/or gray/dark-gray backdrop too! Use the same subject and same lighting... that way it could be a test to find what you like best. That would be fun. :-)

Also, keep diagrams of your favorite light set ups (with a sample photo) so you can remember where the lights should be placed in the future. Keep note of the wattage of each bulb too, if they are not identical.

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thank you for the advice. I'll work on that this week! : )

Sandy Eaton said...

I think you did a great set up not being a professional I think the picture came out perfect. Pretty smart the way it is set up.

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

Thanks!

Kelly Heck said...

I also thought your photo came out wonderfully... sorry I always jump to pointers and ideas before complimenting... bad habit!