Friday, April 26, 2013

Happy Arbor Day!


Last week I received 10 douglas firs that I ordered from The Arbor Day Foundation. They had to soak in water and then I planted them around our property.


I planted all ten around the property, I dug deep holes so the roots could easily grow and stuck sticks around the trees to keep the deer from trampling them. You can see a 'cliff' edge behind the tree in my neighbors yard. Part of our yard has a sharp drop off that I call 'the cliff'. My hope is by planting these trees they will take root and keep the dirt in place. We have had several bigger trees fall and as they fall nothing new is able to grow because the deer have eaten everything bare. Deer aren't supposed to eat coniferous trees. Knock on wood.


I hope that our trees flourish, I just received 5 more in the mail of different coniferous varieties. I can't wait to get them planted!

No comments: