Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Old Glory Inspiration



My friend Melissa Muir and I assign each other homework assignments. It's so much easier to do something when you are accountable to someone else. This past homework assignment was to draw and sketch with inspiration from Old Glory our United States of America Flag. I used Pinterest to create an inspiration board and then printed some of the photos that I put in my sketchbook.

As you can see I write a lot when I sketch, when I can't necessarily draw what I'm thinking I just write it out. That way the ideas aren't lost.


I particularly liked the sketch above. of 13 stripes holding 50 stars below them. What would you use to make the red and white stripes?


I just loved this flag image above, an abstract flag. Made me think of Jackson Pollock.


Here I got a little crazy and in the top sketch the stripes began to turn into tentacles and grab a flag pole. I am very inspired by optical illusion so I was combing flags with that theme. It was a fun them for the 4th of July!

No comments: